Nowadays, industries are facing new sustainability challenges, bearing in mind the greater environmental awareness of citizens, community empowerment and the growing need for a socio-environmental authorization to operate.
The Environmental Services unit of Fundación Chile has more than fifteen years of experience and a team of professionals specialized in environmental risk management, who are capable of finding solutions of the highest standards and tools to respond to complex problems.
In our service offer we reflect the knowledge acquired through our work on open innovation platforms and in connection with different productive sectors.
How we do it?
Our main areas of work:
- We evaluate current and previous impacts of productive activities in order to recommend the relevant actions for each case.
- We mitigate impacts from a risk-based perspective.
- We monitor to prevent impacts from reoccurring.
Evaluación ambiental y definición de medidas de cierre en instalaciones de apoyo de concentraducto
Evaluación de riesgo ecológico asociado a residuos mineros masivos.
Participation in the Technical Committee for Chilean Standards for soil sampling and adaptation of technology for mercury stabilization
Assessment of risks to human health associated with the presence of tailings storage facilities
Recovery of hydrocarbons in groundwater in the coastal basin
Quebrada Blanca Spill Compliance Plan
Publication of the Guide for the Prioritization of Sites with Potential Presence of Pollutants (known in Spanish as SPPC) and Remediation Technology
Closure of Cerro Minero’s deposit
Las Salinas Environmental Audit
Remediation of hydrocarbon flare pits in Magallanes
Survey of contaminated sites with Conama in the Valparaíso Region
We have developed 100 risk assessments since 2005
Hours spent sampling
Hours spent by professionals
We conducted 22 environmental audits associated with remediation projects and environmental incidents
Junto al Ministerio de Medio Ambiente publicamos la “Guía metodológica para la identificación y priorización de sitios con potencial presencia de contaminantes” y el “Manual de Tecnologías de Remediación de Sitios Contaminado” hoy directrices a nivel nacional en la temática.
REMEDIATION OF FLARE PITS IN TIERRA DEL FUEGO
- ENAP Magallanes takes responsibility for the remediation of 2,100 flare pits of oil wells located in the island of Tierra del Fuego and that were risking its reputation.
- Given how innovative this initiative is, ENAP Magallanes called Fundación Chile to jointly define a risk-based closure strategy, managing to focus resources on the pits that require remediation.
- The heavy efforts required for this are seen as an opportunity to test different technologies, and Fundación Chile is given the task of leading and coordinating the process.
Hydrocarbon flare pits surveyed
Remediated flare pits
RECOVERY OF HYDROCARBONS
- During the process of building a gas terminal, the presence of environmental impacts derived from the historical activity of that place become evident. A process is thus initiated to carry out an investigation to determine the type and extent of the impact. Fundación Chile was chosen to carry out the exploratory investigation, which was the starting point of a relationship of over seven years and which is currently in the groundwater remediation phase.
- This process involved the design and implementation of an investigation strategy, which ultimately concluded with the design and operation of a hydrocarbon recovery plant that has achieved an 80% reduction in transmissivity.
Years of work
Hectares of matrix affected
LAS SALINAS SITE REHABILITATION AUDIT
- Emblematic project in the Valparaíso region that sought to reverse the impacts generated by years of operation of the hydrocarbon industry. Located in a sector of great economic value, the industrial zone was declared dangerous and a use restriction established, a situation that could only be reversed if the site was remediated.
- Coinciding with a growing environmental institutionalization, the Environmental Assessment Service (known in Spanish as SEA) of the Valparaíso Region chose Fundación Chile to fulfill the relevant function of auditing the rehabilitation process. This task was carried out in a thorough manner and with a permanent presence on the ground.